Designs for 3 types of viewers
There is much said about what layout is best for digital signage screens to captivate an audience. However in reality we have many different types of audience that we are trying to appeal to
Further research shows that there are basically three main types of audience and each one can be reached via a specific layout that appeal to them most. Below are some suggestions to draw their attention
- Viewing time: 1-30 seconds
- Display location: usually sited in a hallway, near an entrance with no lobby, elevator bay, people walking by and not stopping.
- Layout: 1-block layout with date/time stamp and/or current weather conditions. No video, no ticker, short graphic messages to the point only.
- Viewing time: 30-120 seconds
- Display location: short queues or lines for cashier, reception desk, checkout, and people stopping for brief periods of time.
- Layout: 2-block layout with date/time or weather (maybe also ticker). No long videos (long videos will be missed) , Short Flash video, short graphic messages.
- Viewing time: 2-30 minutes
- Display location: reception with seating, lounges, cafeteria, break/lunch room, anywhere there is seating.
- Layout: 3-block layout with everything. No restriction on content types and layout complexity, adding live TV for 10-plus minute waiting areas is also an advantage.
It’s difficult to have a one size that fits all solutions or people type, however the above information should give some guidance as to what works best for the 3 categories of viewer chosen so that your message is delivered as best as possible